Wednesday 30 March 2011

Review: Bourjois Bio Detox Foundation

Okay, this is my first beauty review, so bear with me if it's not all that! I'm usually quite clueless when it comes to beauty - I often get it wrong, but it won't stop me trying.


I felt compelled to write a blog about this foundation - unfortunately, not because it's fantastic.






I would love to be able to rave about how good this is. I'm a fan of Bourjois usually - in fact, it was my satisfaction with other foundations in their range which led me to buy this. I was visiting Tom's mum when I ran out of my usual foundation and needed to buy another. I decided to go with a Bourjois one for the reason stated before.


There were only two to choose from - it was a toss up between Bio Detox and their natural fruit based one, Healthy Mix, but the store in the town I was in only had a tester for this one. I based my decision on my trust in the brand and chose Bio Detox over the other as although both boast skin-sving properties/benefits, as I was able to test a small amount and I thought this one would suit my needs more. If only I'd known that Healthy Mix was receiving 10/10 reviews and coming top of national surveys! 


I performed a couple of small swatches with the tester on the back of my hand, and a little on my jawline. It seemed okay, and felt soft after it had dried.


I chose the closest colour and tried it on my face for the first time the next morning. I applied with my fingers as I didn't bring a massive cosmetics bag with me. I didn't apply a huge amount - I usually only apply a small bit at a time anyway. It came out quite a bit darker than I expected and was the strangest texture. I know now I should have gone out of the store into natural light and checked the colour match there, but I was in a bit of a rush and... well, you know, you might look a bit odd.


The problems with the application were, that it absorbed and dried way too quickly. If I had to use a word to describe it, albeit an unprofessional term, I'd say, 'Stodgy'. It congealed - it felt heavy and sticky on my skin whilst applying. Spreading and blending was a challenge - one of the most difficult I've ever come accross (second only to Rimmel's Cool Matte Mousse foundation), as it gummed up and flaked off in a similar effect to what happens if you over-moisturise.


Anyway, I stuck with it for the rest of the trip. I thought that when I got home I could perhaps try applying it with a brush or sponge, as I often do. I tried both of these alternatives and neither were an improvement - in fact, due to the strange, cloggy nature of the foundation, they made it worse, by absorbing instead of blending - imagine trying to brush on semi dried paint.


In the end, I resorted to mixing it with another foundation that was slightly lighter, to try and even out the colour. I used another tried-and-tested favourite - maxfactor's colour adapt. It helped the application , but there was still the crumbling problem when blending.


If used right, Bio Detox is not completely awful - the trick is to go a tiny patch at a time and work it in quickly. If you are lucky/skilled enoguh to get an even coverage, it lasts for a few hours, and although it feels heavy sitting on your face, it does have a matt, almost velvety finish (until it wears off).


Overall, I was unimpressed, and it's getting binned unfinished, as now I can afford a decent foundation for once!! I never used to be fussy about my base make-up, but as I get older I realised my skin deserves better and have given my beauty regime a complete overhaul! I'm going to attempt to deliver more of these 'tales from a beauty no-hoper'.


Ta-ta for now,


Swaf


xxx


 

No comments: